Downsizing is a big decision as you are moving from your own big home to a small one. You not only shifting your belongings to a new home but also your emotions which is a tough task. Your reason for downsizing can be many – you want to relocate, to cut your expenses, your children have left the home and you feel your home is too big now, you can’t afford the maintenance of big home thus you come at the decision of downsizing. To sell the old and to buy the new one you must know the value of the homes for which you can hire a home valuer to know the exact market values of the home.
But its not that easy first, you have to find a suitable home in the location where you can live comfortably and then you have to make some financial calculations where a new home is capable enough to fulfill your purpose of downsizing or not. So here we have listed down the mistakes one should not make while opting the downsizing as an option.
1. Be clear and calculative – People usually have an idea that small home means small expenses. But sometimes we fail to calculate the expenses that small home brings which leads to hurt our expectations. It’s right homeowners can save on utility bills if they own a small home but people forget to calculate the other expenses like taxation property valuation, the maintenance cost of new home etc. It’s advisable to calculate the expenses accurately so you can plan your finance well.
2. Cancel your old services – As you are moving to a new home remember to disconnect your services like utilities, phone lines, internet, property tax, and all facilities. Otherwise, you have to pay the bills even later which you haven’t used. So to keep your budget in balance make sure to redirect or disconnect the services or utilities you were availing.
3. Buy prudently – It’s good to be organized but it’s not appreciable to buy the unnecessary product or things for storage or for a new home in the mood of excitement.
It very crucial to buy the new storage containers and furniture of your new home with accurate dimension otherwise it will be of no use and don’t forget you are moving to a small home so keep those belonging only which are necessary and vital. It’s very important to declutter the things which are of no use. Know the right measurement of your new home before buying new furniture and containers.
4. Start your preparation – It’s not last minute preparation can help you to move your home. Don’t forget you are shifting in a small size home you can’t keep your all belongings there as the way you keep in your current home. So it’s advisable if you have finalized your decision of doing so try to start your preparation before a month so you can remove the things which are no use and thus you can carry the right belongings with you. You can prepare moving-house checklist to make yourself organized.
5. Be happy – We know it’s tough to leave a home where you had created so many cherishable memories. Remember you have a purpose to leave this home. So try to make your mind and get excited about the new home. While packing the things and belongings try to keep your emotions aside otherwise you can’t be able to pack your things on time. Chuck out the things that are of no use. Don’t clutter the waste. Recall, your new home is a small one.
These are the sure-shot tips to remember while downsizing your home. You can take suggestions from the home valuer regarding the property related decisions or for home valuation services.
Feel free to contact us for the best home valuation services. We have a team of expert home valuers who can find the right value of a home.